Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Boiled Peanuts

I asked my Southern mom a simple question today: "Where can I buy green peanuts for boiling?" I've got some Southern cooking coming up, and I *HEART* boiled peanuts. My question kicked off a frenzy of emailing between my mom and my Georgia farm-raised distant cousins. Within an hour I had an in-depth explaination for boiled peanuts from across the country, from IN the country. I feel compelled to share the information here in case a large percentage of you are also going through boiled peanut withdrawals (don't knock it till you try it).

Usually peanuts are harvested when they reach maximum
weight, then they are dried, because the dried peanuts can
be stored for about a year without refrigeration. The
peanuts for boiling are harvested a few weeks before
maximum maturity, when they are softer and more flavorful
and they are not dried. They must be kept cool or
refrigerated, and only last a few days.

I get mine at a local farmers market in August/September.
The grocery chains also carry them, and over the years they
have expanded the months that they are available. The
stores like to stock them when they can be moved quickly, a
safe bet during the summer, when there are a lot of
cookouts. I don't know if they have them this early in the
year -- I'll take a look when I go to town.

You can freeze boiled peanuts and then thaw them out by
soaking them in bot water a few minutes. They are good
served chilled or warm. They are just as good from frozen
as fresh boiled. After they have been frozen, they will
taste a little saltier, not a lot, but just enough to
notice.

For a five gallon pot full (almost to the rim) of peanuts, I
use 18 ounces of salt. Just prorate the salt for
larger/smaller quantities. It takes about 3 to 4 hours of
boiling. About an hour before they are done, you will
notice a certain good smell. This is when the taste-testing
begins, too early, along with the drama about "oh they need
more salt". If they are almost done, expect them to
taste way short on salt. The peanuts uptake the salt in the
final minutes before they get done.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

No comments: