Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Case for and against TV

More parenting videos on JuiceBoxJungle


I am not a fan of TV. I don’t watch it, and I don’t like my kids watching it much (especially not at another kid’s house, but more on that some other time). But despite my disdain for TV, I’m certainly of the opinion that it isn’t evil. To me, it’s just plain common sense that it’s an undeniable waste of time for any human being to sit in front of a screen and watch someone else living their life (with a few exceptions, one of which is NOT Spongebob). Duh.

But on the other hand, what’s childhood without a little wasted time? I don’t feel I want to waste my own time, but the kids can sure afford - hell, they're entitled - to. Plus, their wasted time watching TV is my productive time to work. Sometimes, all I can manage as a busy mom is getting them 30 minutes of dumbed-down entertainment and getting myself 30 minutes of productivity. For me, TV is purely a tool. I like watching it about as much as I liked changing diapers, but both TV and diapers sure as heck have gotten me through a bunch of otherwise stinky situations. (And ain’t NO study – no matter what the educational or environmental rewards, is going to convince me I should have used cloth diapers or not ordered cable).

So there.

No comments: