Saturday, February 28, 2009

Preparing for adolescence

My 6YO son is prepubescent, er something. No really. He's argumentative, obsessed with debating whether he should be able to eat one more snack or watch one more minute of TV, and determined to drive me fucking mad.

Thank G-d for basketball and bedtime, and thank G-d I play sports. The only times we are not arguing like junior high school bitches is when we're playing basketball in the garage, or, more age-appropriately, snuggling at bedtime. During our daily basketball playoffs we don't talk except to yelp "Hooooyah!" or "Get outta my house!" over the hip hop music we play on the boom box (clean versions). We don't hug or kiss - we chest bump and give each other high fives.

During tuck-in time we do hug (still no kissing, dammit, that's long gone) and talk: about how we hope to stop arguing the next day; about how frightened he is that he'll be kidnapped or die in his sleep; and about how much we love each other.

I will be devastated when he no longer wants to cuddle at bedtime. But at least I know I will always be able to connect with him on the court.

1 comment:

AM! said...

You're making me be remember to be more mindful of this time w/my 3 yr old son right now...b/c as you know at this age...he's uber into mommy...:)