Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wizardry and Heaven


So at Kepler's the other day, W picked out the NBA Coaches Playbook (yes, intricate plays real NBA coaches can study) and studied it for 30 minutes, begging me to buy it for him. I was about to buy it, with him paying half with his own money, when I reminded him that he did not have five player pawns constantly at the ready for him to run plays with. "You'll play with me," he said.

"Maybe. But I'm one. Even our whole family including you makes four. How often do you think you'll get five together to run plays?"

"Good point," he said. He's logical.

"Sure you want to spend your money on that?" I asked.

"No. I'm looking around." So he looked. And lo and behold, The Book of Wizardry popped into his peripheral vision. "Think I'll like this?" he asked. "Wizard stuff."

"I don't know," I said, hoping he would - this book is novel length and could keep him busy for QUITE a while if I wasn't mistaken. "Sit down and read the first chapter to decide."

He did. "I like it. I want to be a Wizard," he said. We bought it, together.

He began reading it aloud to me and within the next 24 hours he had chosen his Secret Wizard Name which is never to be told to ANYONE (but which his dad and I believe to be "Kobe Bryant" as you must look deep inside your soul, find what your very essence is, and then create a name around it), created his magical Wizard cup by washing a basic Ikea glass in moonbeams and cold water, and started his Wizard journal.

The activity surrounding Wizardry seems to be going well, and W seems to be very much enjoying the main theme of the book, which is "You have control over your own thoughts, and with this control, you can make things OUTSIDE of your head, happen." He could use some practice with that as he has quite a temper.

Thus far our goldfish hasn't been turned into a white owl or anything and nothing freaky is happening, but W has performed some sort of seance with my grandmother, channeled through my mother (whom he calls Gran'mama).

When instructed to close his eyes and concentrate on seeing what was inside his head he leaned back on the couch and smiled slightly.

"What did you see?" I asked him.
"The waves at Hilton Head," he said, with his smile that shows he knows he is saying something dear. "Gran'mama showed me how relaxing that is."

Ah. My grandmother, Gran'mama's mother, now passed, always wished for her home in South Carolina to remain a precious place for her grandchildren and great grandchildren. It's times like sitting with W on the couch discussing Wizardry and waves at Hilton Head that I believe there is a Heaven and my Grandma is hovering right above me watching.

How could she not have been a part of that moment?

I told Gran'mama about this moment. After wiping her eye and emoting on his exceptional qualities as a person she muttered, "but are you sure it's safe to let that child loose with Wizardry?"

No. I am not.

1 comment:

AM! said...

omg, so cute, and I can only imagine how happy that made H feel:)