Sunday, May 27, 2007

No Potty Talk!

While on vacation these past couple of weeks, B ramped up his use of potty talk (somewhat cheered on by certain aunts and uncles who found his "poopie in my tushie" song quite catchy). I understand their enthusiasm. No matter how many times I hear it, the first time (per day) that B breaks out the "In my tushie, In my penis" song, it's really funny. I laugh. I try not to, but I just can't help it. By the tenth time he sings it, it is, admittedly, not funny at all (especially when done at top volume in a crowded restaurant) and by then it is too late to convincingly tell him "NO potty talk" like we mean it. Luckily he really only does it to make us laugh and he quits once we look like we are going to pull our hair out.

He's not gone off the potty mouth charts though, yet. Sometimes he even self disciplines before he really gets started. "In my-" he'll start, then stop abruptly and shout "No potty talk!" at the folks around him.

Is it sad that I feel a pride akin to his graduating from a major university when he successfully severs a stream of potty talk? Sad or no, I'm holding on to my pride. There are so many analogous times that he lets himself go and tells a room full of shoppers or diners that his "tushie makes lots of stinky poopy!" before lifting a leg and tooting on cue, that I've got to take pleasure in his "manners" where I can.

No comments: