Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mulling it over

N and I saw Blues Traveler last night at a little mountain winery amphitheater. John Popper is one third the size he used to be and I'm one third as hip and young as I was the last time I saw him perform. This was approximately the seventh time I've seen him in concert, and the sixth time must have been back in college. This time I needed my glasses to see the stage (even though we weren't more than 75 yards from it), and I wasn't drinking heavily (instead I was checking my phone frequently to see if the sitter had called).

Just the same, when Popper got up and started wailing on his harmonica, the lights went up and the warm summer rain (rain!) began to come down, I remembered why he used to make my hiney tingle, and found that he still does. Goosebumps and the irresistible desire to sway and move to the music; the return of the concert top-of-the-world energy rush. And then back to the kids before the gig was over (it went past ten, for goodness sake)!

1 comment:

Nicole Pelton said...

I had my 2nd date (and first make-out session) with my hubby about that long ago :) I'm sure my experience would be more like yours if we went again now.