Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Summer '07 Whoohooo!

It's the first week of summer and boy are we partying over here! It's 85 degrees (finally) and we should be at the pool, or at least I should be at work, but NO.

First my normally healthy as a horse husband threw up for 24 hours (beginning Sunday just after the finale of the Sopranos but most likely unrelated to his grief over the ending of the show).

Then on Monday W threw a temper tantrum like I haven't seen since he was 3 in the middle of his much anticipated basketball playoff game (because he fell asleep in the car on the way there and we were late and he awoke to having missed the first half due to traffic and a small mistake over car seats on my and his grandpa's part. He was not pleased. Calming down took 30 minutes of kicking and screaming and demanding that "someone start the whole game OVER AGAIN!" I think he only fully woke up after about an hour). Luckily the championship game is this Saturday. I plan to be there two hours early.

Then the next morning he refused to see his best buddy (which put a wrench in my work plans since that's tied to our childcare situation) because the two have been fighting. It seemed inappropriate to suggest a cock fight to settle the thing once and for all so the buddy's mom and I spent an emotional morning trying to smooth things out and look inward to see why this may be happening. WTF? I thought I was mommy to a 5 year old boy, not a 16 year old girl. G-d help you mothers of girls when hormones kick in. I really shouldn't be making light of the situation--it was truly heartbreaking to see the fighting, but I'm positive about the way we're going forward. I'm proud of me and the other mommy for how we handled it. That always feels good.

As we were settling some of the bad feelings between the boys my youngest decided to present me with an opportunity to show him the very type of "one strike and you're out" plan we've been discussing for the older boys. B kicked at someone in play and I got to scoop him off his feet and leave the scnene plus remove his beloved milk sippy cup from his hands. Later that day he hit his big brother again and I was forced to take away his nighttime show. More work, once again, for me, but I think he got the picture (or at least the hour of crying seemed convincing).

Today I was set to go off to work (maybe even sneak in a swim) and W woke up with an infection around his mouth (back from it's death after last week's appearance) that looks like leprosy. B woke up coughing and sneezing as well, so that was the end of the work plan. Should be 90 degrees today, but I doubt the pool folk will be seeing any of the three of us. We're off to the doctor's office after lunch. I'm planning to ask for some sort of Frequent Illness point card. Maybe I can get a free antibiotic after ten or twenty more visits.

Summmer '07 Whooohooo!

No comments: