Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Wax, Cheese and Eggs


Today I decided to do something different with the home-sick-from-school troops. Real different. Eyebrow waxing. Now, now, not for them. For me. But with them. It seemed to go with the eye theme of the day since W spent an hour crying and banging his fists against the table in protest to the new allergy defending eye drops his doctor prescribed yesterday. "They feel NASTY!" he said over and over, through so many tears that his eyes were swollen before we hit the pollinated and windy air. No matter, I held my ground. We could not go get an eyebrow waxing for mom until we got those drops in (which we finally did using a straight jacket type maneuver. Good thing I work out.).

I'm not stupid. I didn't use missing a good waxing as the threat. No. Target and Chuck E. Cheese are also in the eyebrow waxing strip mall, and three games of hoops with tickets dispensed for each hoop at Chuck's place was the lure. Still, there was an hour of fist banging. But we got the drops in and headed off to said strip mall.

As hoped, they took me in immediately at Fabulous Nails and whisked all three of us back to a secluded room. B and W took seats straddled on top of my legs as if they were about to ride me into some sort of rodeo situation, and the nice Vietnamese woman began to rip my eyebrow hairs out. "Don't touch hand," she instructed the boys.

"Right," I emphasized. "Don't push the lady. Mommy only wants some of her eyebrow taken off."

"Ooookay," B replied. In the beginning, W just stared at my brow as if I were being executed. He warmed up though. As I smiled repeatedly through the rippings he relaxed and seemed to conjure up some sort of conspiratorial "Ha ha I'm glad it's not one of us being tortured" nod with B after each wax application and harsh removal.

They did great. No mishaps and they were silent even as the technician plucked individual hairs away after the waxing was done. Bravo. Jolly Ranchers from the pretty candy dish for all.

Then it was on to Chuck's place where I specifically said we would play only THREE games. We played twelve, of course. But, what's twelve quarters really, except $3.00 in change that could have been used for a latte I don't really need? Today I took full advantage of Chuck's tag line "Where entrance to the fun is always free." Usually of course they get me for $10 in tokens and a $40 cardboard pizza to eat but this time, I won. We got out of there in ten minutes and without more than one video game played. HOO-ray. A kindler, gentler Chuck E. visit.

Next we hit Target where I picked up some Easter egg supplies as well as a hip skirt and tube top for myself (G-d I love that place). Eggs were on the mind after swim practice this morning where, as we were luxuriating in warm water after the bitter wind outside, my girl R.Pinto mentioned that candle wax is a fabulous addition to those $.99 dye kits from Walgreens. What she recommended was this:

1. drip some wax on an egg
2. dye the egg
3. drip some more wax on the egg
4. dye it another color
5. repeat as many times as you like
6. at some point hold egg over flame to remelt the wax and peel it off
7. have a gorgeous egg that is shiny, multi-colored and patterned, and harder to break that those which have not been "waxed"

I have not tried this, and I didn't try it today, but as you can see I did purchase a "magic crayon" kit to apply a crude (very crude, as in not even with six points) replica of a Star of David to a blue egg.

We're Jewish but we do this egg dying thing just for the Jesus-lovin' heck of it. My friend also mentioned that dying dry macaroni is fun. I had visions of getting some of the small curly tubes of macaroni, dying them red and putting two little horns on each of my Easter eggs. Voila. Deviled eggs. Perfect for the Jew that can't stay away from Christian traditions (they're just too fun). Yes, I realize I'm going to hell. Or not, because I'm just not crafty or enthusiastic enough to pull out the pasta and go for it. Regular eggs with no horns sufficed for today, and that's a good thing, because B decided to hide them all over the playroom and then "bonk" them all against each other to create confetti. The horns would have only added to the mess.

No comments: